I did a bit of fiddling around tonight to produce a ‘Static’ version of Monowai, with a ‘landable’ helipad. Regular visitors will notice that Monowai has lost her boats..after a long and informative discussion with a former Monowai crew member, I now have enough details to create new, and much more accurate boats, which is the next step!
As a quick test of the scenery object I added it to the RNZN Fleet in the Hauraki Gulf. The hardened helipad worked as expected, and Monowai looked great! (RNZN Frigates by Mike Hudson, available at all good FS sites)
Monowai is making progress on her delivery voyage. Having left Glasgow on Sunday, she stopped in London for a brief visit, and has now made her way back down the Thames and is heading for her next port visit in Gibraltar.
It has been interesting comparing the relative rate of progress of Monowai, at 14 Knots, to Canterbury.. The trip ‘home’ in Monowai is going to be a long, long journey!
After Monowai had left the Thames, and was safely on Autopilot I headed up to the loft to try and sort a PC issue with the 737 sim. After a wee bit of tinkering I got it up and running, and even had a short flight. Motivation suitably restored, I am once again looking forward to getting it shifted to it’s new home and doing more flying!
Canterbury has arrived at Devonport, and since Monowai is at a stage where she is ready to sail, though not entirely finished, I thought it was time to replicate her delivery voyage from Greenock Dock, Glasgow to Devonport.
Another evening’s work on Monowai, and the details are starting to get filled in. The mission was to add the major structures to the fore deck and the various antennae around the top of the superstructure.
After completing the initial release of my AI Wasp, I started looking for places for them to fly… I have models of the Leander Class Frigates, but when I found out that Monowai also had an embarked Wasp I thought I’d have a go at modelling her. This is the first quick compile in the sim to have a look, and I think it is looking pretty good so far. Eventually I plan a static scenery object, to be part of the “destinations for the Wasps” but also as a pilot-able ship for my ‘Nautical Adventures’ series….
It’s been a long time coming, but this evening I uploaded the finished ‘version 1.0’ of my RNZAF_AI Wasp to Military AI Works. It is a long time since I spent any serious time in GMax, and the Wasp has been a great learning experience. I was surprised at how much easier GMax was after the hours and hours of work I’ve done in Fusion360. Despite GMax being from a much older generation of CAD, a huge amount of workflows I use daily in Fusion 360 transferred over pretty well. I am quite happy with this, my first complete AI Aircraft package in a very **very** long time!
The package will be available for download from the Military AI Works website soon!
Over the past few weeks I have spent some time in the evenings updating the visual model of F421, adding a virtual cockpit, hand rails and even a crew. The most exciting part of the upgrade has been the addition of animated parts, some simple, like spinning radar scanners and the flapping ensign, some a little more complex like the ‘lowering of the ships boat’….
Now, with the push of a button the ‘Captains Gig’ lowers to the surface, then disappears so that I can deploy my own copy of the ships’ boat… more of that Nautical Madness!
Many more animations have been added but more on those later, along with a rundown on the other improvements around the ship.
Last week’s Sim Work Night turned into a CAD exercise on the 3d Model of Canterbury.. so not much to show! This week is a different matter. I started the process of swapping out the flight controls in the Skyhawk a couple of weeks ago, and this week I made some serious progress!
The mechanic’s of the stick were all stripped down and cleaned, then I ripped apart an old Logitech ‘Attack 3’ joystick and salvaged the circuit boards inside it. Now I have the stick extended, and interfaced with the Logitech boards. For now I have wired only the switches I intend using, as the stick has more buttons than the Skyhawk grip anyway!
The stick shaft has been extended 100mm, which give a travel which feels about right, and now has a nice offset to make it fit in your hand nicely.
With the Throttle and Stick Rewired I tested the various axes and switches, and all worked fine! The next step in the build is to design a pedestal to support the stick at it’s right height, incorporating an enclosure for the various boards cables and connectors, then make a suitable mounting structure for the Throttle. Part of the mount will include adding a Flap switch to the structure so that it is located correctly (finally) For now the Throttle doesn’t have any buttons interfaced, that is for a later time!
COVID-19 has bitten hard, with NZ going in to lock-down tomorrow. So tonight’s Sim Work Night was pretty quiet. After spending the afternoon converting the ManCave into a temporary work office, I decided that I still needed to do something on my sim. So tonight I did some messing around with displays in the Skyhawk, and a cool tool for ‘storing’ and ‘restoring’ panel positions. This means that I can fine tune the positions of all of my undocked panels, an recall them whenever I need. This application has changed my plans for how I will “build” the virtual panel for the sim. Instead of building a single panel, with all my gauges on it, I will make individual panels for each gauge which I can then move and size to fit the panel. Then I can use these cool apps to store the positions. I also *temporarily* pointed the projector lower to align with the HUD. This is until I design and build new legs to bring the height up to where I now want it.